After she came up to me and said, “I’ve been with my partner for 20 years… We would never get married because he’s on social security income, and because my daughter is disabled I have secondary income from the state to support my daughter. If I got married, both my benefits and his benefits would be reduced because we would become a double income family.”
She was explaining that marriage doesn’t work for poor people, and that it doesn’t work for disabled people. Having really simple examples like hers are important.
this is important. for a lot of low income folks on government benefits, marriage is against their financial self-interest. trying to put a dollar amount of the symbolic value of marriage is hard.
im not saying i deserve to be rich and famous im just saying i feel like i was supposed to be
I was tagged by lightsaroundyourvanity
Replace with your own answers and then tag 10 people.
- Name: Monica
- Nickname: Mon and sometimes Ronnie
- Birthday: September 21
- Gender: female
- Sexuality: Magical
- Height: Between 5’5” and 5’6”
- Time zone: CST
- What time and date is it there: Almost 1am on the 30th
- Average hours of sleep I get a night: 2-5
- Last thing I googled was: Queening (because I did not realize my ipod autocorrected whatever the hell I was originally searching until it was far too late)
- Most used phrase(s): ”WELL I NEVER.”
- First word that comes to mind: Loaded
- What I last said to a family member: ”There are a lot of stray cats around here.”
- One place that makes me happy and why: I always have fond memories of anywhere that isn’t Illinois. I dunno. Guess I just realized I’m a lot happier when I’m not here, huh? hehe.
- How many blankets I sleep under: One
- Favorite beverage(s): water, apple juice, orange juice, etc.
- Last movie I watched in the cinema: Tammy
- Three things I can’t live without: Sleep, wrestling, public transportation
- A piece of advice to all my followers: Give yourself a break for however the hell long you need to.
- You all have to listen to this song: The Hymn of Acxiom - Vienna Teng
"text me when you get home" means "i love you, be safe."
joan rivers is a crusty racist old white who has made fun of domestic abuse and who said that the Palestinians deserve to be wiped out. i am not about to feel sorry for her just because satan is calling her home. let her gag
- me to all my friends: YOU CAN DO IT. YOU MAKE YOUR OWN LIFE. LET'S DO THIS TOGETHER. COME ON!!!
- me to myself: you fucking piece of shit you will amount to nothing nothing is worth it your feelings are irrational go sleep for 22 hours